In calendar year 2021, ARRT will provide up to 10 Readers’ Advisors a maximum of $100 each to fund attendance at an ARRT seasonal program. This grant is offered year-round, with deadlines one month before each program. For example, if the ARRT Summer Program is scheduled for July 24, the deadline to apply for a travel grant would be June 24. ARRT pledges up to $1,000 per calendar year to the grant, and applicants may apply for grants for multiple events while grant funds are available. Members of the ARRT Steering Committee will evaluate grants and notify applicants of decisions prior to the seasonal program to which the applicant has applied.
Travel grant funds may be used for any expense incurred when a readers’ advisor attends an ARRT program: program cost, mileage, tolls, substitute staff working in the grantees’ stead, etc. Complete a travel grant budget spreadsheet to account for all expenses. Applicants using grant funds for substitute staffing must have budget spreadsheets signed by a supervisor or Library Director. Mileage expenses should be calculated at the current IRS mileage rate. Reimbursed expenses may total up to $100 but may be less.
To determine if you are eligible, you must answer yes to the following questions:
- Can you demonstrate need?
- Do you have an interest in readers’ advisory for adults?
- Do you work in a library or attend courses in library science?
- Are you a member of ARRT? (Not a member yet? Find more information here)
Applicants agree to indemnify and to hold harmless ARRT against all damages, claims, suits, or other legal proceedings arising from the staff member’s travel to and participation in ARRT program.
How to Apply
1. Prepare a brief statement of need, including:
- Your name
- Name of your library or school
- Contact information
- ARRT membership status
- Acknowledgment of indemnification
- Check payable instructions. For reimbursement of substitute staffing costs, checks must be made payable to employer.
2. Complete, scan, and attach the ARRT Travel Grant Budget form.
3. Send statement of need and completed ARRT Travel Grant Budget form to email@example.com.